You are using an outdated browser

Internet Explorer is not supported by this site and Microsfot has stopped releasing updates, therefore you may encounter issues whilst visiting this site and we strongly recommend that you upgrade your browser for modern web functionality, a better user experience and improved security.

Upgrade my browser

In Denmark, empathy classes are part of the National Curriculum

3 min read

Better Society
Source: Unsplash.com

Denmark’s education system has included mandatory classes teaching empathy to their students aged 6 to 16 since 1993, where students learn to help their classmates and compete only with themselves.

Empathy Is Taught To Students Aged 6 To 16 in Danish Schools

It’s safe to say the Danes are a happy bunch. In fact, Denmark has consistently ranked in the top three happiest countries in the world in the UN’s World Happiness report over the past seven years. The secret to their happiness may stem from their education system where, in 1993 the Denmark education curriculum introduced mandatory empathy classes.

The empathy program starts at age six in the first year of school and continues until age sixteen. For one hour each week, the children have empathy lessons during ‘Klassens tid’ or ‘The Class’s Hour’.
Students learn to help their classmates and compete only with themselves. The empathy program starts at age six in the first year of school and continues until age sixteen. For one hour each week, the children have empathy lessons during ‘Klassens tid’ or ‘The Class’s Hour’. Source: EducateInspireChange

Danish parents raise happy children who grow up to be happy adults who raise happy children

What many people don’t realise is that empathy is a learned skill, and that teaching empathy from a young age has not only been proven to make children more emotionally and socially competent, it also greatly reduces bullying and can also help them be more successful as adults in the future.

Denmark’s empathy program starts at age six in the first year of school and continues until age sixteen. For one hour each week, the children have empathy lessons during ‘Klassens tid’ or ‘The Class’s Hour’. Set for a special time once a week, and a core part of the curriculum, the purpose is the students to come together in a relaxed and comfortable setting to discuss any problems they may be having and the class tries to find a solution.

Any problem is open for discussion and could be personal problems or problems between individual students or groups, anything regarding the school or even unrelated to school. The rest of the class, and the teacher then debate ways to solve the problem. The teacher helps the students by teaching them how to really listen to and understanding others. When no issues are raised for discussion, the group come together and just chill.

“Together, the class tries to respect all aspects and angles and together find a solution. Kids’ issues are acknowledged and heard as a part of a bigger community. [And] when you are recognised, you become someone.” — Iben Sandahl*

It’s all about their upbringing. Danish parents raise happy children who grow up to be happy adults who raise happy children and the cycle repeats itself.

Klassens tid, is the students’ opportunity to be heard and receive encouragement and inspiration from others through listening and simultaneously learn the importance of mutual respect.

*Iben Sandahl is a Danish psychotherapist, educator, and co-author of The Danish Way of Parenting, along with Jessica Alexander, an American author, and cultural researcher. The Danish Way of Parenting is translated into 21 languages, and authors have conducted field research to understand how the Danes teach empathy.

Source: EducateInspireChange.org

Denmark's Education System: Where Teaching Empathy is part of the School Curriculum Anxiety levels are rising among primary and secondary school children across the globe. For parents and educators, this is a worrying trend. What are we doing wrong and what could we be doing to fix it? Could Denmark's teaching practices hold the key to happiness in the classroom. Source: YouTube/InsideOptimistTV

THIS SCHOOL TEACHES CHILDREN ABOUT THE HUGE IMPACT A SMALL ACT OF KINDNESS CAN HAVE

A Dutch primary school is teaching children about the massive impact a small act of kindness can have. The children are encouraged to tell each other about the meaning of kind gestures and the effect they have had on them. The lessons began with the inspiring story of Jaap Bressers who became paralysed after a diving accident, and how a simple gesture from nurse named Carlos made all the difference to his recovery and life. The lessons, called “Carlos Moments” lessons, are free to download. Learn more.

Make an Impact

THE COURSE ALL SCHOOLS SHOULD BE TEACHING... HAPPINESS LESSONS

Sure, mathematics is important, but it is way more important to learn how to be happy! Merijn teaches happiness to middle school kids. Learn more and download free PDF